Would you like to make any improvements to your home in 2019? If you’re like most people, you’re always looking for ways to make your rooms look a little better. But too often we put off the process because of the time commitment and potential cost.
Make 2019 the year you start to make your current home your dream home. It’s easier than you think. Here are 10 simple home improvements you can do right away that won’t take longer than a weekend or break the bank.
- Switch out your faucets. This is something fairly easy to do and it can make a huge difference in the way your rooms look. Think of how different your master bathroom would appear if you replaced your current faucet.
- Replace some of your statement furniture. Don’t worry about every piece of Western furniture in your home being part of a matching set. But do make sure the pieces most often used and seen are in great condition. They should also reflect your current taste and lifestyle. If your last sofa purchase was ten years ago and you’ve since bought a house and started a family, you may consider upgrading to a sectional sofa.
- Nearly every common room will look better with crown molding. Adding crown molding can be time consuming and expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. Trimroc crown molding is a lightweight foam coated in hard plaster. It cuts smoothly with a handsaw and goes up quickly. You can add crown molding to a room in a day or two this way.
- Make your fireplace more efficient. By adding a gas or wood-burning insert, you’ll add energy efficient to improve your home without having to tear apart your hearth and mantel.
- If you lack storage in your bathroom, hang a medicine cabinet. All you’ll need is a stud finder and a drill and you can be done in less than an hour.
- Here’s an upgrade you’ll want to make before next winter: Lay an eco-friendly layer of insulation on your kitchen floor by using cork flooring. Cork is easier to install than wood flooring, and it will sit well over your existing flooring (or plywood or concrete). Once it’s installed, you’ll never worry about the shock of a cold kitchen floor on a chilly morning.
- Add chandeliers to unexpected places. Everyone would expect to see an elegant chandelier in the dining room, but most would be surprised to see a rustic chandelier in a family room with Southwest furniture. For a unique contrast, add a chandelier to your laundry room. Who doesn’t love sophistication in strange spots?
- Shine a spotlight on your stairway. Could it use a fresh coat of paint? A new banister? Draw attention to the area by turning the wall into a place to display your family photos or works of art. Gallery walls aren’t only for living rooms!
- Installing ceiling fans will benefit you in every season. The popularity of ceiling fans continues to grow as more and more homeowners are learning how much energy savings they can bring. Ceiling fans create cooling breezes during the summer, which reduce the need for air conditioners. In winter, they circulate the heated air, which keeps the rooms warm. Installing a ceiling fan is a relatively simple process, so whether you do it yourself or call in a professional, it won’t take much time.
- Paint! When in doubt, paint. Paint accent walls. Paint your ceilings. Paint your exterior and interior doors. Even if you’re happy with the colors of your walls, you’ll want to freshen them up every so often with a fresh coat of paint. This is the fastest and least expensive way to make your home look better instantly. The most challenging part of the entire process is waiting for the paint to dry.
Before you start any home improvement projects, you should have an idea of your long-term goals. Think about what you want your home to look like when you’re finished. Do your ideas complement each other? Will they work well together? Prioritizing your projects will help you decide what to begin with. Remember, you won’t be able to do everything all at once. Half the fun of home improvement projects is watching things come together over time.